Monday, July 29, 2013

THE EARTHRISE DIARY (JULY 2013)


THE EARTHRISE DIARY (July 2013)
                                                                                                             Don Diespecker
© Text 2013, Don Diespecker


As we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns--the ones we don't know we don't know.

     Donald Rumsfeld (February 12 2002 Department of Defense news briefing).

The days of man are but as grass: for he flourisheth as a flower of the field.
For as soon as the wind goeth over it, it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more.
                                              Psalm 58. The Book of Common Prayer

The two quotations above might provide a philosophical hint to some of what follows below (code for the Earthrise incumbent very much taking refuge inside his head, at least for a few thoughtful pars). A third quote, below, is from a compelling novel by James Salter: the story’s unidentified narrator is travelling in a train in France and experiencing what he sees: the story that follows is a fiction ‘imagined’ by the traveller/narrator. This month whilst being in the middle of everything (like editing a second collection of my essays intended as another eBook, “Here and There. Essays from Home and Away”), I’m also flitting between chores, some of the new notions arising while editing recent essays about times past, pondering other places of long ago, fantasising the plot of another novel, brainstorming how we store and access memory, dreamily reflecting on present perceptions, and documenting for want of a better word, a little of what wanders through my mind from day to day especially while I sit seeing what can be seen in my riverside garden. None of what follows is at all complex; I’m simply be sharing some of my experience with you.
Of these tasks and reflections the experience of sitting in my sunny winter garden and not doing anything more strenuous than staying awake and aware, is pleasantly exciting. Falling asleep in the riverside garden is never safe or wise because of the many branches (including weighty deadwood) that will kill one with ease merely by breaking and falling 40- or 50-m. Gravity in this garden may be an unexpectedly lethal weapon and the flooded gum, eucalyptus grandis, is also known as the widow-maker. As magnificent as they are, some gum trees shed leaves, barks and branches when it suits them to. The reflective garden sitter is wise to look around before sitting and to decide on where to run should he or she hear the gunshot CRACK of a breaking branch high above the ground: there is always a chance that the pensive sitter will be sufficiently speedy to outrun the down-coming missile. Alas, such a chance is always going to be very slim. Breaking branches, especially deadwood branches, habitually fall when least expected: it is as if branches will themselves to break and fall in otherwise idle moments, those moments when the thinker or meditating sitter is between thoughts, near-blank moments that beg to be utilised. I have been puzzling about the availability of such hypothetical between spaces: how empty or blank is such a space and how does one know when blankness occurs? If you are a story-teller then no matter how hard you try to keep gaps and spaces filled with narrative so that the teller and the reader or listener are simultaneously at the same point and on the same page, there are moments when the images in the two minds will be very different and perhaps have little or nothing whatever to do with the story. Such wayward moments seem likely to be filled to bursting: both minds will have to be flying on the story autopilot whilst each mind simultaneously is stunt-flying along two other trajectories. See what I mean? My cousin Jill has sent me a copy of Annie Dillard’s The Writing Life and I’ve been reading the last section first: it’s about that writer as passenger flying with a stunt-flier. Not only is her prose very good writing but the text implies consciousness being crowded for each of the two people in the plane and despite the ‘sharing’ of the flying experience, that content, I suspect, will be markedly different for each person (at least it seems so to me).
Inspired by the structure and form of Salter’s novel (A Sport And A Pastime) I recently borrowed the notion of the unnamed narrator being not a passenger in a moving train, but being the pilot in a moving aircraft: writing those parts was sheer pleasure (see my recent novel, an eBook, The Overview). The writer need not be, also, a pilot; having flown either as pilot or as passenger will be sufficient for the reader to experience memories of flying in a plane. –Now I’m remembering having been a frequent passenger on DC3 flights, the old Douglas Dakotas that flew domestic routes in Iran before the Revolution: some of the more hair-raising of those flights were descents through mountainous gaps with sheep grazing at either wingtip: whatever the pilot was experiencing in those in-between moments, I’m sure it was very different to what I was feeling as a passenger (to have arrived safely and in one piece on the ground at Isfahan, for example, was then like arriving in paradise).    
My suggestion for busy readers is to skim lightly through the text and stop to read more closely only if there is something that attracts your attention. If you speed-read at a good pace, this little exercise will last scarcely five minutes (perhaps less if you’re really speedy). And bear in mind too, please, that blogging, whatever else it might be, is a healthy exercise for the blogger to provide text for ambitious speed-readers to become Masters of reading speedily. Bloggers offer scope for fast readers to become accomplished, if not omniscient: the speed-reader will for example acquire a necessary credential for reading detailed engineering drawings, for studying historical data and probably for espionage moments when reading documents extremely speedily is essential for survival or for success.

Green, bourgeoise France. We are going at tremendous speed. We cross bridges, the sound short and drumming. The country is opening up. We are on our way to towns where no one goes. There are long, wheat-coloured stretches and then green, level land, recumbent and rich. The farms are built of stone. The wisdom of generations knows that land is the only real wealth, a knowledge that need not question itself, need not change. Open country flat as playing fields. Stands of trees.
                                                                      James Salter, A Sport And A Pastime.

Between

                                                                                                                            DD
I’m one of those people who sleep less than the average. There are times when I wish that I slept more but I’m learning late that most of what interests me is more or less available when I’m awake. To sleep altogether for about a third of one’s life seems absurd: much time would be wasted as time lost, time squandered that could have been used creatively, more productively. I write every day: writing is what I enjoy doing, often for long hours. That does not mean that I write incessantly when I might be doing something either different or more desirable. There are useful gaps, spaces, pauses between bouts of writing and washing the dishes or raking leaves or driving the car or shopping. It’s currently the spaces between activities that I ponder and the physical spaces between brain technologies, if I may call them that, such as remembering or planning. Neither remembering nor planning is a steadily continuous enterprise until completed: there are surely spaces between thoughts, however minute. Are these spaces fuzzy or big or small and where might they reside in the brain and how do we experience these in between phenomena in consciousness? Consider how in between some car driving seems: the driver drives ‘automatically’ remembering nothing, sometimes, of having travelled from one place to another? How do we manage that and where was the mind during that time? If these available spaces are ‘empty’ are we able to visualise them? And so on.
Sleeping is a huge space that is probably anything but empty. What enables the sleeper’s mind to tick on in neutral or partly shut down during sleep? How does that work? The ‘sleeping’ brain contrives cooperation with the rest of one’s self when dreaming: the Gestalt Approach to dreams and to dreaming is that the dream and every part thereof is the dreamer. The dreamer writes the script, provides all of the required ‘material’ to enable a ‘screening’ in the mind. There are opportunities in the off-duty brain for maintenance and improved planning; might there be also opportunities for up-dating systems, for storing memories and for improving memory storage? Could ‘being off duty’ all too easily become ‘being out to lunch)? Or should I give the attended brain and its enabled mind a break and leave it to these remarkable facilities to do what they do best without too much interceding or interference from me, the inquisitive chairperson?
I know that sleep is a valuable process that not only will reduce wear and tear: it contributes bountifully to that state of general good health that I usually enjoy. I have therefore to broker an agreement with myself most nights when the matter of sleep features itself. The agreement goes something like this: I won’t lie awake worrying unduly about mistakes made this day or take more than a few seconds to run through my list of enemies, particularly those hopelessly deranged or intent on murder. In those several seconds I will reflect on what can best be learned from mistakes and also allow the brief resurgence of a few dark yet positive thoughts regarding enemies. ‘Enemies,’ whatever that might mean in this day and age, invariably are a nuisance. Enemies and generally negative persons whose images intrude at sleep time in my mind are imaginatively invited to wrench open a fantasised trapdoor in a dark recess of my mind that enables instant disposal: all the bad guys fall gracelessly through the trap and as they vanish from view in the general direction of Hieronymous Bosch’s Garden of Earthly Delights (particularly toward the very dark part of the triptych appearing most hellish), I dust off my managerial hands and turn to something more creative: ideas and images more positive and rewarding. I may then, for example, dwell on ‘my’ characters in a current fiction that I’m crafting by cheerfully inventing their next moves, their next lines and speeches, or I imagine my own wingless soaring and flying along the serpentine Bellinger River at an enlightening altitude or brushing in midair the canopies of great forest giants. Sometimes I don’t get very far in these epic encounters and flights and without any further ado I shunt from wake into sleep with minimal fuss. To my surprise I generally am able to remember these inspirational and sometimes spiritual jaunts when I awake and am ready to write again. These remembered images and thoughts as words gleaned are new possibilities that will inform my writings or further my experience in the world: experiment with this next, and then do that…  I don’t recommend this for anybody other than for myself (but try it if it holds possibility for you). It seems often to be effective for me and is certainly more interesting than not. And there are times too when I become aware in the semi conscious state, that I would like to understand more about how the sleeping mind goes about its business. At such times I ponder memory, how it works, where it resides, how easily it makes available to me in images places and people and events as ideas, thoughts, or imagined words that often seem accompanied by a soundtrack. On reflection, unexpectedly strange characteristics and qualities of people and of fictive characters seem to come directly to me either from the distant past or from the contemporary imagination. So far, my imagination seems forever teeming. Our imaginations are the most potent forces in the world. What could be more important than the imagination? To be deprived of my imagination would be devastating: how could anybody live without imagination?
Mental processes are so intriguing! When awake I always carry a small notebook and a pen: if I’m away from the house and in the garden or walking along the road and an idea arrives, I can jot it down and I do so frequently. 
I often remember (when fully awake, as I currently feel myself to be) I recall yet again, with startling awareness that we remember, for instance, a time when we last saw a particular person or a time when we last went swimming or a time when this or that person did this or said that and in each of these possibilities I can also see in this almost immediate show of imagery myself as if seen by another. I have become used to this odd phenomenon but I was amazed when I first realized the truth of this habituated experience: it was when I read Julian Jaynes’s surprising book, The Origin Of Consciousness In The Breakdown Of The Bicameral Mind. If you, dear reader, now will kindly remember the last time you went swimming (for example), you are most likely to see yourself in the imagery, swimming. As Jaynes reminds us, seeing yourself (as if by another or as if in a photograph) is an experience we cannot in fact have or actually experience except when remembering. Our minds know how to imagine that. Is that not awesome?
I frequently take a break during the day, usually at lunchtime, to sit in the garden, often sitting and reading, sitting and writing or making notes, and sometimes just sitting seeing. Most of my computer time these days is devoted to long hours of editing writings that I intend to self publish and I’m not reading enough when I allow myself time to read. Rather, I’ve been sitting and seeing where I am. Passers by who see me thus, idly sitting (and possibly also seeing what there is to be seen) will probably assume I am idling. Not that there’s anything wrong with idling for relaxation, but sitting and seeing sometimes inspires discoveries one might not otherwise easily have enjoyed. Seeing is also a great power. Vision is so remarkable that it seems almost impossible to convey that wonder in words. The experienced idler (myself sitting seeing in the garden), will see amazing things as I have recently done, at almost any time of the day between dawn and dusk. Also, everything that can be seen from one position will change profoundly with only slight movements of one’s head.
I was sitting and looking at the old clumps of white begonias next to the considerably old white cedar on the belvedere. The sun was low at 12:30, this being mid-winter, and because it was declining toward the forested slopes and a shortened afternoon, it was shining across and through the plants at the foot of the cedar tree and the light was perfectly illuminating the old white begonia plants as well as many strands of very fine silk and small webs. But for the strong sunlight and had I been restless or hasty I might never have dwelt on the myriad small webs that drew my attention. I got up and went to examine them more closely: the hunting lines were well strung between the begonia stems, like vines in a forest, and the tiny webs well located and sheltered and the spiders responsible were so miniscule I had to kneel to see them. None of this would have been perceptible but for the brilliant light of the sun illuminating the small scene as if it were a BIG Hollywood epic. Surprised at the abundance of fine silk made by almost microscopic spiders I walked around the tree to approximately its north side, a couple of meters away, and studied the white begonia clump there: no silk, no webs, no spiders: not one.
All of the spider/silk action is on the south side of the old tree. Last February, only five months ago, the begonias close to my chair were covered by more than 3-m of the flooding river (the begonias have never been displaced in almost 30 years: they collect without any great difficulty, impressive amounts of flotsam and loam whilst the flood falls).   
I can still see the silky relatively new images that arise when I want to remember them from wherever they are usually archived (a notion that implies elaborate brain technologies for storing Old Stuff and considerable storage space in which to keep it all). We have very, very sophisticated equipment between the ears and until someone demonstrates that our mental capacity and our cognitive abilities are inferior to something higher or deeper or whatever, we may be accommodating the smartest brains or the best neural apparatus ever and not only here on the Blue Planet, perhaps in the cosmos. That seems immensely awesome when I think about it. 
But that’s not what I’m presently struggling with because validation of our brain’s capabilities beyond the planet is presently not possible; rather, it is this: when I become aware of having accessed an idea and I then dwell on that idea it is as if it occupies a very tiny space or even a speck in an infinite space.

Lost
                                                                                                        DD
Earlier this year, on the day now known as Black Saturday, when the worst wildfires in modern Australian history incinerated more than a million acres of the state of Victoria and killed 173 people, Bruce Ackerman left his house in Marysville to meet up with his regular Saturday lunch group. Marysville, a small town some 60 miles northeast of Melbourne, sprang up in the 1860s as a stopover for miners on their way to the gold-rush towns farther north. Situated in a cool valley of the Great Dividing Range, the mountainous spine that dominates eastern Australia, the town is a popular tourist destination. Ackerman, a bluff fifty-year-old, is proud of being a fourth-generation inhabitant, and told me that his work as a plumber had taken him inside every house there except one. Over the years, he had served on the water board, the cemetery trust, the school council, the ambulance service, and the volunteer fire brigade.
Christine Kenneally, “The Inferno,” in The Best Australian Essays, 2010.

The old photos recently reviewed left behind afterglow notions that made me think again of that 1935 camp scene in the woods somewhere on Vancouver Island, near Englishman’s River, perhaps and Grace standing relaxed her hands behind her back calmly regarding the photographer and I think myself as well sitting in front of her by the campfire, the old tent in the background and the woods all around, also the upright form rectangular or box-like almost of our old motor car a Paige—and whatever became of it, that car? And what became of the forest and the river: can they still be there? And there was an earlier car, older, a Model T Ford I think it was? Was that the family car with a hand-levered throttle mounted next to the steering wheel? Whatever happened to that car and how easily did running boards disappear from motorcars; the Paige had them I’m sure? Some 1920s and 1930s cars with running boards had also an added secured box or container for the family dog. And in those far-off times we weren’t able to see ahead this far and into this century unless we read Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers comics.  I remember too that my sister Deirdre when I was a toddler would sometimes take me to the stone beach not far from our house in Oxford Street and she’d show me the tidal pools in the bedrock filled with vey small creatures in and under the water: anemones and crab, seaweed that seemed to wave; bright pebbles. She used to search for amber close to the waves; she had two small pieces that glowed like jewellery. What became of our cameras? What became of items in that old house: a Venetian glass scent bottle on my mother’s dressing table, the decorative small concave bowls like delicate ashtrays with butterfly wings glassed in? And the cardboard box filled with glass baubles and fragile glass balls and shimmering decorations that were the Christmas tree decorations, and my tricycle and the four-wheeled wooden wagon and my two cap pistols? Are any of those in museums now?

Found
                                                                                                                DD
The g’s slammed me into my seat like thugs and pinned me while my heart pounded and the plane turned over slowly and compacted each organ in turn. My eyeballs were newly spherical and full of heartbeats. I seemed to hear a crescendo; the wing rolled shuddering down the last ninety degrees and settled on the flat. There were the islands, admirably below us, and the clouds, admirably above. When I could breathe, I asked if we could do it again, and we did. He rolled the other way. The brilliant line of the sea slid up the side window bearing its heavy islands. Through the shriek of my blood and the plane’s shakes I glimpsed the line of the sea over the windshield, thin as a spear.
                                                                             Annie Dillard: The Writing Life.

At Earthrise the sun would keep moving with its brilliance on the bright winter day. Shadowgraphs of nearby foliage, cast on the pale cream of flooded-gum trunks, would move too, orchestrated. The pictures would change continually, slowly, and you would have to adjust to that change, that slow movement because the shadows moved imperceptibly yet changed the images so hugely: imaged fuzzy leaves, imaged blurred branches, all projected as if in a theatre on a high narrow screen. Like an exquisitely slow exposition settling you for an afternoon’s viewing in the galleried forest. Nobody else would arrive privately for such a public show changed to a private showing. The viewer would be privileged and there was a second chair available. Shadowgraphs on the flooded-gums trunks are both old and new and may always be seen whilst forever changing. Different flooded-gums screen different pictures. One tree looms over the shadowed house we built 30 years ago, the house show 40- to 50-m high over the lawn. And after sunset darkness would arrive and there would be no further shadowgraphs until the moon’s rising and then the viewer could see shows more velvety, softer on the night-time trunks.
In this part of the garden butterflies were frequent, even in winter and they put on air shows of their own. The garden views were seldom silent or empty: the air when looked at from behind a shading hand encouraged the sun to reveal squadrons of winged insects flying, possibly sometimes for pleasure. Tiny insects airborne were white and bright in strong sunlight; they hung forcefully in any breeze that tried to disrupt and move them around. Some butterflies navigated bobbing and bouncing at speed, often upward at acute angles and through foliage without accidents.
And gallery-goers could find nearby sunny patterns of the river’s surface projected through the running river’s shallows and those images free for all as enlarged pictures at an exhibition of minute ripples and swirls and froth. And these would be underwater shows screened on the surfaces of stones or the river’s sandy bottom. Movement of sunlight and shadows made fine art.
In 1991 when I stood on the small stone beach and looked back across the Cowichan at the footbridge and the steps down the crumbling far ban and the rails on one side to assist going down and up ant the woods looming over the cabin, I was astonished to find it all so apparently unchanged since the 1930s. It was eerie. Does the river there not flood? And similarly in downtown Victoria the city library in the Provincial Capital had unchanged steps outside the building, steps that seemed huge when I was a small boy and in 1991 seemed toy-like. The same steps were perceived in two different eras and seemed so changed in the 1990s.
In the 1930s Mom used to cook plain boiled white rice and a mutton stew that we’d take in two pots to the car and drive down Cook Street to the stone beach on summer eves and eating that simple food on the beach in those far-off Depression days was a splendid experience for the family and I remember those times so well that they seem more like four years ago rather than 84 years ago. Everything changes: and you have to keep your eye on everything that moves.

About my eBooks: For those readers who browse for eBooks, here again are the first of those that I’ve begun self-publishing:

1. Finding Drina is a light-hearted sequel to my two print novels (not available as eBooks) published in one volume as The Agreement and it’s sequel, Lourenço Marques. Finding Drina is written in three parts and in three different styles that also are intended homage pieces (to GG Marquez, Ernest Hemingway and Lawrence Durrell); thus this little book is also meta-fiction (novella, about 30-k words). 
2. The Earthrise Visits is an Australian long story set at Earthrise (about 20-k words): an old psychologist meets a young literary ghost from the 1920s (his girlfriend meets her too) before a second old literary ghost, unaware of his spectral state, arrives unexpectedly.
3.  Farewelling Luis Silva is an Australian dystopian long story partly set in Australia, Portugal and France (about 23-k words). A sniper meets an Australian Prime Minister, an old lover and a celebrity journalist; three of them meet a terrorist in Lisbon where there is a bloody assassination.
4. The Selati Line is an early 20th century Transvaal train story, road story, flying story, a caper and love story sequel to The Agreement and Lourenço Marques, lightly written and with some magical realism. A scene-stealing child prodigy keeps the characters in order (novel, about 150-k words).
5.  The Summer River is a dystopian novel (about 70-k words) set at Earthrise. A General, the déjà vu sniper, the Australian Prime Minister and the celebrity journalist witness the murder of a guerrilla who had also been an Australian university student; they discuss how best to write an appropriate book about ‘foreign invasions’ (novel, about 70-k words).
6.  The Annotated “Elizabeth.” I examine and offer likely explanations as to why my uncle published a mixed prose and verse novel in which his mother is the principal protagonist and I suggest why the book Elizabeth (published by Dick Diespecker in 1950) is a novel and not a biography, memoir or history (non-fiction, about 24-k words).
7.  The Overview is an Australian novella set at Earthrise (about 32-k words) and is also a sequel to The Summer River. 
8.  Scribbles from Earthrise is a selection of essays and caprice written at Earthrise (about 32-k words). Topics are: family and friends, history of the Earthrise house, the river, the forest, stream of consciousness writing and the Earthrise dogs.
9.  Here and There is a selection of Home and Away essays.
           
Pease see Russell Atkinson’s blog at: www.theoldestako.wordpress.com

With best wishes from Don.  

No comments:

Post a Comment